View Single Post
Old
12-10-2008, 02:35 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobak View Post
This info conflicted with what nhlscap.com said in its CBA FAQ so I dug deeper.

Take a look at 50.5(d)(iii), specifically A:

B says the years beyond the original contract are straightforward, they're equal to the yearly amount paid by the team for the buyout.

There are a few examples directly on the CBA after B. One of them even shows you could potentially get a negative cap hit from a buyout for a given year. That gets treated as a cap credit.

Based on all this, it seems like all buyouts are not equal. Buying out an evenly spread out contract effectively means getting 2/3 of the cap hit over double the amount of years. But buying out a front-loaded contract seems to lead to a bigger cap hit than 2/3 of the remaining cap hit and buying out a back-loaded contract seems to lead to a smaller cap hit than 2/3 of the remaining cap hit.

If I have gotten all of this right and the OpenOffice calculator I just whipped up is error-free, buying out Lecavalier with 3 years remaining would lead to cap hits of 4.45, 6.95, 7.45, .72, .72, .72 mil, respectively, over the following 6 years.

That's a total of 21.02, where I'd have expected 15.45.
Wow thanks. I stand corrected. Although it is a contradiction with article 50.9 which is less detailed.

I guess you could always send him down to the minors and deal with the repercussions if the cap space is missing, instead of buying him out.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote