View Single Post
Old
12-10-2008, 02:55 PM
Jigger77

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
How commonly used is french in other parts of Canada? But though English might not be commonly used in QC, it's used a hell of a lot more often then french is in most other provinces I'd be willing to bet. Also, in this country canada, regardless of quebecs stance on things, the official 1st language is English. Not trying to be mean or anything but there is just very little reason for a non-quebecer to actively persue learning french. For a quebecer, if they ever want to leave Quebec/France/Other French Countries and places, they'll need at least basic English to get by. But the same isn't true the other way around, only certain countries have french but English is the world language. So really telling people to learn french, if they're complaining may be a good point, but if not it really isn't.

But yeah.. I guess in terms of this thread you're right.
Wrong.
From the Charter of Rights.

16. (1) English and French are the official languages of Canada and have equality of status and equal rights and privileges as to their use in all institutions of the Parliament and government of Canada.
20. (1) Any member of the public in Canada has the right to communicate with, and to receive available services from, any head or central office of an institution of the Parliament or government of Canada in English or French, and has the same right with respect to any other office of any such institution where

(a) there is a significant demand for communications with and services from that office in such language; or
(b) due to the nature of the office, it is reasonable that communications with and services from that office be available in both English and French.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
you are 100% right, alas, it's exactly this type of thinking that kills me...

people seem to ignore the fact that it's a huge OPPORTUNITY and PRIVILEGE to be able to speak a second (and third, fourth, fifth...) language.

why would anyone, in their right mind, not WANT to take advantage and learn another language is beyond me.

but i doe realize that many people would argue until their blue in the face that it's their right to be able to communicate in only one language, and of course it is... it's just a shame that's all.

as for the RDS thing, if it was "HABS TV" and all in french, then I could certainly buy an argument that they should include english content, but as it is a french language station who, despite being available outside the province, is primarily produced for french speaking SPORTS enthusiast (and NOT only the habs), why on earth would they include an english segment???

if you want english, watch TSN/Sporstnet...
Yup. And those are the same people who end up complaining they don't understand. And I assume vote for people like Galganov and join the movement for the preservation of the English Language.