View Single Post
Old
12-14-2008, 05:32 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

vCash: 500
I just got around to watching the first of the two games between Michigan and Michigan State from last weekend. I have to say that I was really, really impressed with Chris Summers. He's back on defense, and is team captain. He recieved huge 5on5, PK and PP minutes. He scored a shorthanded goal on a huge rush, had another assist, and was on the ice for like three or for goals for. I didn't see if he actually recieved first star, or not, but the announcers seemed to feel it was a no-brainer.

This kid can skate. He's got Yandle skating. No joke. He can really fly. He also seems to be a very smart player, in general. He does make some mistakes, but more often than not is very solid. He's a bit more raw than I would expect from a junior, but is much more confident than he has been the last couple of years. I kind of see both as a good thing. Apparently, the first time he ever played defense was in the Honey Baked tournament(as a sixteen year old) when his team lost two defenseman to injury and he he volunteered to man the blueline for his coach(Ryan Kesler's dad). So, he's still learning his position(it doesn't help that he's been asked to play forward, as well, at Michigan).

He looks great, though, even if a little raw. He looks much more disciplined, too. Maybe getting the "C" on his chest helped. I saw him choose to avoid a few altercations(including one where he was cheapshotted after the buzzer), and he didn't seem to be sniffing around for that huge hit, like he did in the past(often to his detriment). He seems more involved offensively, too. Still not quite as confident with his shot from the point on the power play, though. It's a very good shot, and seems to get through every time he chooses to let it go, but at this point, he seems way more interested in passing it off. He is quite good at keeping the puck in the zone, though, and refuses to give up the blueline with the man advantage, as he's really quite good at holding the puck in at all costs.

All in all, I was very impressed and am quite pleased with his developement. He seems to be an intelligent, valuable, two-way defender, with exceptionally rare skating ability. Apparently he's also a good leader, and certainly looks like one on the ice. We all know from some of the videos we've seen of him that he's also a very bright and funny kid. The Michigan announcers also seem to be in love with him. They were gushing about him all night. I'm really excited for him to turn pro. He looks like a good one.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote