View Single Post
Old
12-16-2008, 06:31 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Ron View Post
Obviously we all have our opinions and it appears nobody is being convinced to change theirs.....But consider this.....If Ersberg was put on waivers would he clear? If not, would he be the #1 goalie on the team that selected him? What ever your answer is will probably indicate if Ersberg is a valid #1 goalie or not.
A #1 in the NHL has a proven track record of starting a bulk of the games over a few seasons (at least) and has performed well a majority of the time. Guys that I would consider #1's: Kipper, Luongo, Lundqvist, Turco and Nabokov off the top of my head.

Whether or not he is given the most playing time or is considered the #1 goalie for that team doesn't make him a #1 goalie in the NHL. If Ersberg is claimed by a team decimated with injuries and gets starts because he is that teams best option that doesn't make him a #1. He's their best option.

I know Jim Fox was talking about this subject during the Wild game. He was commenting about how there are only a handful of true #1 goalies in the NHL right now and it is common to go with a tandem now which I think is true.

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote