View Single Post
Old
12-17-2008, 07:20 PM
Carterfor60

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Unless the Flyers changed their bench this year from last year, John Stevens does not involve himself in the line changes consistently throughout the game. They have an assistant that manages the D...and an assistant that manages the forwards. Last year, Murray ran the D, and McIlhargey ran the forwards. Murray is gone now, and I haven't bothered to look up what they're doing this year...but I doubt it's all that different.
Absolutely 100% incorrect. Stevens changes the Forwards this year, just as he did last year. Someone who isn't aware of the very basic aspect, shouldn't be commenting on who Coaches what aspect of the team.

Quote:
Why, you ask? Because he's the head coach and he should theoretically be paying attention to the entire team and what is going on out there...not dealing with who is going on and off every 45 seconds. As you can imagine, that's time consuming. Not to mention watching the opposing bench to see who is coming on and off if you're matching lines. So, as of last year, John Stevens wasn't running the line changes from the bench...which is probably a wise move.
Again, entirely incorrect. The Head Coach changes lines on every team.

Quote:
And, no, John Stevens does not coach the PP and PK. He's the Head Coach...is he around and at meetings? I'm sure he is. But those are other coaches babies and they deserve the credit and criticism as it comes. Berube got blasted for the PP in his first stint with the team...and rightfully so. He got replaced, John Stevens didn't. See how that works?
Breube got blasted by the fans. Who again, as a whole,were not aware of who does what. So you've never seen Stevens with a clipboard during games, such as during a timeout, diagramming a play when they're shorthanded late. Or on a PP? You have no clue.

Quote:
So, unless you can provide some facts to prove me wrong...you, in fact, are in error. And, sure, they probably could have changed it so that John Stevens is running line changes.

Maybe that explains why we can't get through a game without a too many men on the ice penalty...I had assumed it was on Berube.
I just did that. You expose yourself more with every post. Your not even aware of who changes the Forward lines during games. A simple well know fact, to anyone with basic knowledge of the game. According to you, Steven just stands there! LOL

Quote:
Not when it takes you 6 games to figure it out in the first place...quick adjustments is avoiding extended struggles. But hell, lets let him get through a season without one first before we declare him successful at adjusting. The 0-3-3 start was Biron sucking arse and a tough schedule more than anything anyone else was going to do...one thing a coach can't really do is predict hot/cold goaltending.
Who says it took him that long to figure it out. Maybe it took the players that long to improve their play, and incorporate what Stevens was telling them. This is simple common sense. And I guess taking the team from last place overall, the the ECF's the following year, wasn't fast enough. And let me remind you that Ken Hitchcock, a Stanly Cup winning Coach, didn't effect a quick turnaround either, in 06/07, leading to his firing. So obviously, there's factors that you aren't considering. Not a surprise.

Carterfor60 is offline   Reply With Quote