View Single Post
Old
12-17-2008, 07:47 PM
Carterfor60

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Well, he specifically didn't last year. I just told you EXACTLY who was in charge of the respective groups throughout the course of the game.
Yes he specifically did. You are wrong. This is a simple elementary, basic hockey fact, that is the same for every team, during the game, on the bench. The Head Coach typically changes the Forward lines.

Quote:
Not this one...and, no, they delegate authority for most teams. The line changes involve paying attention to far too many things. For example, assistant coaches are the ones with the stop watches for the changes...since there are two groups out there and thus two watches.
You are wrong. Are are exposing your lack of basic Hockey knowledge.

Quote:
Use some common sense. Do you really think John Stevens is:

1) watching the team playing as a whole.

2) monitoring the time the forward line has been on the ice.

3) monitoring the time the defensive pairing has been on the ice.

4) going back and forth down the bench telling the five players who are going out next...they're going out next.

5) watching the opposing bench.

No, he's not. No one could. If he is...then he'd be running back and forth behind the bench the entire game, not standing in the same spot in the middle of the bench while play is ongoing and talking to the assistants from time to time.
Your mistating what I said. Stevens changes the Forward lines. McIlhargey changes the defense. In accord with the game plan and the matchups that the team is looking to get. All supervised by the Head Coach. And discusse in the team meetings before games, in the game plan. All overseen by the Head Coach. This is pee wee level stuff here, I'm having to teach you.

Quote:
You claim to be a paragon of common sense...start using or developing some.
You say this as you make a fool of yourself. LOL

Quote:
Berube got dropped to the AHL...what the hell are you talking about. If they thought he was doing a good job at the NHL, you think they would have moved him down and brought in two other assistant coaches at the NHL level?
The reasons why Berube was moved to the AHL were documented. If they didn't trust him, or think he wasn't doing a good job, or wasn't a good Coach. Why did they make him the Head Coach of their AHL affiliate. In charge of developing some top prospects down there. You make me laugh. And waht does that have to do with the topic at hand?

Quote:
And it's actually pretty rare that Stevens is the one doing the diagramming. He frequently has the assistants doing it, Berube more than once.
You need to pay more attention during games. It's the norm for Stevens to be diagramming or directing play during timeouts.

Quote:
You didn't use a single fact...as per usual. Your blabber is just your own personal opinion. Everything I've said was common knowledge last year.
I will challenge you right now. To ask any qualified analyst of the Flyers. Any beat writer. Who changed the Forward lines for the Flyers last year during games. This is as elementary as the ABC's. You are clueless. And your exposing yourself.

Quote:
And, no, I didn't say Stevens just stands there. He watches the game, he's interfacing with his two assistants on the bench who are then the ones running their respective units. He's getting reports from Mullen who is sitting up top with a different view. He's talking to players, trainers when someone is injured, and, very rarely, the officials.

Your problem is that you don't understand how big the job of the Head Coach is during the course of the game and why that means he isn't doing all the little things during the course of the game.

It's called delegation of authority...it's how well structured units work. Just like the military, you have a guy at the top who is paying attention to big picture stuff and then passing on smaller tasks to people with "less" authority.

I'm very critical of Stevens, but he's proven very wise in how he delegates authority and allows people better suited for jobs to do those jobs. That's a very important skill for a Head Coach...the job is big and there's too much information and stuff happening for that guy to be doing everything.
You simply couldn't be more clueless in who does what on an NHL team. So, he just delegates during practice and games. Everyone else is better suited for things than he is? Your a joke, and extremely uninformed.

Carterfor60 is offline   Reply With Quote