View Single Post
Old
12-17-2008, 08:02 PM
Jester

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CannonGoBoom View Post
I'm not getting involved with this whole thing but really just because Stevens has assistant coaches in charge of certain things doesnt mean he isnt in on the big picture. It doesnt mean he doesnt say at certain times in the game what line he wants on the ice, or how he wants to run a PP(yes there are multiple ways) or a million other things that other coaches are in charge of. Just because berube runs the PK doesnt mean stevens looks the other way in practice and has no clue what kind of stratgy they use. Jester states facts but also goes overboard on a lot of them. Like saying he gives his assistants full credit for special teams. What do yuo really expect him to say "I'm the head coach, the special teams doing well is all because of me!".
At no point have I said Stevens doesn't have his hands in the big picture. In fact, I've given Stevens specific credit for his ability to delegate authority...meaning his ability to operate from the big picture and let assistants do their jobs effectively. The Head Coach is a big job...especially at the NHL level and none of these guys are or should be working on all the details.

If your head coach is spending his time staring at the PP or the PK, other areas are going to suffer.

What Stevens said of Mullen was that they just gave that job to him and it was all him...I'm not sure we need to parse that as some statement of him trying to be a kindly boss. It's giving credit where credit is due. Stevens deserves credit for staying out of the way.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote