View Single Post
Old
12-20-2008, 03:00 AM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
It'll be like the Forsberg trade...not much more if anything. Teams have wisened up to how stupid some of these trades have been. This isn't about demand so much as what is smart and what is stupid. Unless a contract can be worked out as part of the deal, Florida's return diminished considerably when they went to arbitration.
The Forsberg case was slightly different because he was solely intended to be a rental. I expect Bouwmeester's suitors to acquire him with the intention of locking him up, something that Nashville probably wanted to do with Forsberg, but wasn't expected.

Nashville shot for the moon in the Forsberg deal and definitely overpaid.... especially considering Forsberg was nearing the end of his career. As Bouwmeester is just entering his prime, I think the demand for a player of his caliber will result in an overpayment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
Ok, just to give some examples. Obviously different players, salaries, time of trades, circumstances. (Hossa is not a d-men), (Pronger asked for a trade), Boyle was basically forced to waive his NTC.

Edmonton Oilers traded Chris Pronger to the Anaheim Ducks for Joffrey Lupul, Ladislav Smid, a 1st round selection in 2007, a conditional 1st round selection and a 2nd round selection in 2008.

Buffalo Sabres traded Brian Campbell and a 7th round selection in 2008 to the San Jose Sharks for Steve Bernier and a 1st round selection in 2008.

Tampa Bay Lightning traded Dan Boyle and Brad Lukowich to the San Jose Sharks for Matt Carle, Ty Wishart, a 1st round selection in 2009 and a 4th round selection in 2010.

Atlanta Thrashers traded Marian Hossa and Pascal Dupuis to the Pittsburgh Penguins for Colby Armstrong, Erik Christensen, Angelo Esposito and a 1st-round selection in 2008.

You do not think Carle, Lupul and 1st or Parent or some other prospect not named Giroux, JVR or Sbisa is not good enough value for Jay?
Hossa is the closest example of what I expect the Bouwmeester trade to resemble. Pittsburgh both wanted and expected to sign Hossa at the end of the season, so they paid a pretty penny. Two roster players, a prospect and a first round draft pick would be very similar to what I suggested in Lupul, Carle/Coburn, Parent and Giroux for Bouwmeester. Swap Parent with a first if you like; that's the kind of deal it's going to take to land Bouwmeester (+ a bottom six forward, for comparison purposes) and I don't want to see the Flyers pay it.

Pronger's cicumstance was unique and Boyle and Campbell are both one dimensional defensemen. I personally value Bouwmeester higher than Boyle or Campbell. I'm sure there are other who feel differently, though, and maybe would expect a similar package that Tampa/Buffalo received.

Regardless, I agree with BCF16. I'm happy with Philly's defensemen and don't believe they need to overpay in an attempt to improve it at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
The Flyers simply do not need Bouwmeester. Take a look at the Flyers top 4 d-men and compare it to the rest of the East and we're just as good as everyone else, maybe even a little better. Look at the Rangers top 4 - Staal, Mara, Redden, Roszival. Look at the Penguins top 4 - Goligoski, Orpik, and who else? Look at the Devils top 4 - Martin, White, Oduya, and Mottau. Look at Boston's top 4 - Chara, Wideman, Ference, and Ward. Buffalo's top 4 is Lydman, Numminen, Spacek and Rivet. Montreal's top 4 is Hamrlik, Komisarek, Markov and O'Byrne. Washington's top 4 is Green, Morrison, Poti, and Pothier. Carolina's top 4 is Pitkanen, Gleason, Babchuk and Kaberle. Ottawa's top 4 is Philips, Volchenkov, Kuba and Picard. Seriously, I'm not worried about anyone else in the east and their top 4 d-group. Pittsburgh will improve when Whitney and Gonchar come back to the lineup, but it's going to take them time to catch up to game shape.

Seriously, our top four is perfectly fine. If anything, now is the time to leave this group alone and let them settle down and develop chemistry. Once Parent and Jones get healthy, then we can start giving guys breaks and that's only going to make our situation even better.
Quoted for emphasis.

CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote