View Single Post
Old
12-20-2008, 06:37 PM
MathMan

vCash: 500
I'm not sure if Boston is catchable but I think they're more of a 100-point team than a 130-point team. They are on a really hot streak however, and that may lead them to finishing the season with 110-115 points or thereabouts.

Last year they were not a playoff-caliber team. They had a negative goal-differential. They made the playoffs ahead of Buffalo which was a stronger team with a better differential, mostly because Buffalo was unlucky and would score their goals in bunches, so they'd have a few really big wins and many narrow losses.

This year? Somehow they turned into a team with a negative goal-differential into a 130-point powerhouse by adding Bergeron and Ryder. Yeah... Allow me to remain skeptical. I'll grant that dramatic turnarounds are possible (last year's Canadiens, for one) and their goal-differential is beyond reproach. But I have trouble imagining that much of a turnaround in one year.

The goaltending spike has already been noted in this thread, and that's the first thing that's likely to drop to more normal levels; I don't see Boston maintaining a .930-or-more save% for the rest of the year.

Boston's lead may make them uncatchable once both teams start playing more to their ability, but I don't think Boston is a better team than Montreal when both are healthy and at the top of their game, and I certainly don't think they have a better coach.