View Single Post
Old
12-22-2008, 01:53 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMinuteShift View Post
Neither of those Dmen were as talented as the newest Dman drafted by the organization in the first round the last few years. We never considered those guys safe by any means, though I always had high hopes for Burke Henry who looked great the season after we drafted him. Many a call was put in by other teams trying to aquire him actually.

Burke Henry looked awfully good in juniors for two years, but then fell off completely. But yes, none of Brown, Jarvis or Henry had as much upside as either DZ or Sang.

But when it comes to the question of how "safe" the players were, the odds of them making the NHL, I'd say that they were at least as good. When Neil Smith got Jeff Brown in the first round, he announced that the kid is a sure-fire NHLer. He was never to be a top pairing dman, but he was supposed to be a very solid second pairing guy. That was never to be. The guy is now 30 years old and never played a game in the NHL. He retired having spent most of his years in the low-tier leagues such as the UHL.

I doubt that both DZ and Sang will bust like that, but it is the worst case scenario. In 1997, nobody thought that Brown, Jarvis and Henry will all bust.

Oh, and remember our blue chippers Brendl and Lundmark? Who'd have thought that both would bust. Or our top prospects Novak and Kloucek (he got injured, but that too happens)? Before that were center Dube and dman Vasiliev, top prospects who never made it.

And right after we won the Cup, I remember Barry Richter, Joby Messier (cousin of The Captain), Lee Sorochan, Max Galanov and Ed Campbell pumped up by the management as the future of our D. None made it as an NHL regular.

So the point is that most prospects don't pan out. Yes, you can get Leetch. You can even get Leetch and Zubov sometimes. But more often than that, you will wind up with Sorochan and Galanov or Brendl and Lundmark.

Last edited by Beacon: 12-22-2008 at 02:05 AM.
Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote