Thread: So who goes...?
View Single Post
Old
12-22-2008, 12:39 PM
Sec201

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inebriator View Post
I would hang onto Upshall, Metropolit, and Asham if possible. I would first let Knuble walk (I am in no way bashing him, but he is not vital and we need every penny), then try to trade Jones and Lupul in the offseason. Alberts and Kukkonen should be easy to let go as well.

Vaananen is my first priority to re-sign, on a 3 year deal worth about 5-6 million. Sbisa and Parent stay.

Gagne - Richards - Giroux
Hartnell - Carter - JVR
Nodl - Briere - Upshall
Cote - Metropolit - Asham/Kalinski
Powe

Timonen - Coburn
Vaananen - Carle
Sbisa - Parent
(someone)

~34 million for the forwards
~16 million for the defense

~50 million total with 5+ million depending on the cap to figure out the goalie situation
People are forgetting the defensive liability some of these young players are. Giroux is a great offenseman (yea i think i made that word up) but he has lacked the defensive ability you need in the NHL. The caps are a great example of what happens when your whole team relies on the offense. They can put up ultra numbers of goals if the opposing teams goalie does not get lucky. But they have to rely on putting up those goals or otherwise they are going to get beat. Its not too often you see the caps winning 2-1 or 3-2....its usually like 4-1, 5-2 etc. etc.

Knuble i believe is expendable. His veteran leadership is very good and he can score goals, but I think he is losing a step defensively that is necessary. I have always been impressed with Lupul and I think if we were to trade him, you better trade him to far out west team where he cannot come into Philly and do damage. Cause the minute he steps foot into the Wachovia center in an opposing jersey you will experience his rath. I believe the same thing will happen when we play RJ and the blue jackets after xmas.

Sec201 is offline   Reply With Quote