View Single Post
Old
12-24-2008, 03:10 PM
chaosof99*

vCash: 500
I think leaving Giroux in the AHL and calling up Nödl instead was a very conscious decision but not necessarily because they thought Nödl was the better player or the player with more potential. I think Holmgren and Stevens realized that Giroux was not yet entirely up to pro-speed in the training camp and wanted him to stay in the AHL, perhaps even the entire season, to learn the ropes, get accustomed to this kind of game and perhaps even make a run for the Calder Cup to have him enter the NHL as a better player than he is now rather than throw him into the fire and perhaps destroy his confidence by burdening him with too much too quickly.

It might sound weird but I think they thought that either Nödl had a tad more experience to and would be more likely to succeed as is in the NHL, or they simply thought that Nödl would be more expendable. A third option could be that they would want to trade away Nödl and have him be showcased. I believe right around the time Nödl was called up the rumors were going around that the Flyers were looking to get Cam Barker from Chicago.

chaosof99* is offline   Reply With Quote