View Single Post
Old
12-25-2008, 02:47 PM
DontgoZiggy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier View Post
That's an exellent point.

And the best way to make that happen, nearer-term, is to add some quality experience to a very talented, but still very raw, corp of kids on your backline. Way I look at it, Doughty, JJ, Hickey is a lot of youth on any backline, half of your D corp. And if Green is one of your "vets" at the young age 25, you are not going to be winning anything terribly soon. Some may argue that point, but there is no arguing the average age of winning D corps on Cup-caliber teams. Pens had a couple of younger guys in Whitney and Letang last spring, but look at the rest of that backline.

Teubert is Witt -15 years (I know some will have him projected as "vastly" superior, but let's see him do it first, please). Problem for NYI in this hypothetical: kid will likely not be NHL ready for several more seasons. As such, you've just moved your top Dman and replaced him with nothing on the NHL roster for some time.

If I knew NYI would be backfilling Witt's spot with NHL quality in other transactions, I'd consider it.

Otherwise, the worse D corp in the NHl just got worse.
It seems unfortunately that teams have to go through a couple of years of being bad to make a run at the cup. This is especially the case with a salary cap in place, drafting becomes paramount. We've been abysmal for a couple of years now, but lombardi seems to have made some very astute trades to aquire quality youth that will hopefully give us a decent run for some time. To me the isles are at a time when they could cash in there quality vets for youth. You have a great goaltender to build a team around

DontgoZiggy is offline   Reply With Quote