View Single Post
Old
12-29-2008, 09:35 AM
FrankMTL

vCash: 500
Do We Let Tanguay Walk Away As A UFA At The End Of The Year?

First of all, let me just say that I think Tanguay is a pretty decent hockey player. Having said that, if the Salary Cap is supposed to go down by 4 or 5 million in 2010-2011 (next year it should be about the same +/- 1 Million), is he the one we have to consider letting go at the end of the year??

We will obviously not be able to afford everybody over the next few years. Next year out of the most important UFA's, we have Komisarek, Tanguay, Koivu, Kovalev and Lang.

Komisarek is a no brainer, he should have already been signed. Then comes the tough part, out of Koivu, Kovalev and Tanguay....who do you keep?? Koivu is probably at the top of their list and hopefully because of the way the salary cap is going down and the fact that a lot of teams with be cutting payroll, will accept a deal in in the 3.5-4 million dollar range for 2 years. I woulden't mind signing Kovalev for 2 years at around the same dollar amount. The problem with Tanguay is that I have a feeling he will ask for about 5-6 million again and a long term deal which i don't think is the best idea for us...he's a useful player but he tends to dissapear and will be of no use to us when we play against the tougher teams in the Eastern Conference (Boston, Philadelphia) as he has virtually no physical aspect in his game.

Don't forget, Carey Price will be an RFA at the end of next season, and hopefully he continues to play very well and get better. he could be in for a major payday.

What would you do?? Do you let Koivu, Kovalev, Tanguay, Lang all walk at the end of the season and concentrate on other UFA's? Do you keep some? Who would you keep??

FrankMTL is offline   Reply With Quote