View Single Post
Old
12-29-2008, 11:47 PM
Lanny'sDaMan

vCash: 500
Third Period
Yet another in a long string of good complete periods. The first half of the period had no flow to it as there bulk of the penalties in the game were called in those ten minutes. Once all the penalties were over and done wit, the Flames settled into their game of physical domination and heavy offensive pressure. If not for Harding’s great play this could have been an eight goal period for the Flames. As it was Moss did have a goal called back, but he did bring that puck from near his head down to the goal. No way that should have counted, even tho I do commend Moss for his killer instinct on that.
The penalty kill not only continued their reign of terror against all PP units, they managed to spring Nystrom who went end to end and with what can only be described as a godly move put the puck into the back of the net and scored what would turn out to be the game winner. Miikka again stood way taller than his actual height and made some spectacular saves to keep the Flames tied, and ahead. It must be commented that the Flames have looked particularily good jumping on loose pucks during the pk. They have knocked those pucks out of the zone more times than not, and it’s been huge to see. The power play was a sight to behold. I really really wish I could say their effort was rewarded as they more than deserved a goal, but alas I cannot. It really sucks too, because that was bar none the best I’ve seen the PP unit play all season so far.
Bertuzzi was a freaking beast all game long. He was playing a great game tonight. No can accuse him of floating or lazy play tonight. Well, I suppose they can, if they didn’t watch the same game I watched. Miikka looks more and more like his Vezina best as of late and good to see! Aucoin and Regher were also phenominal that period making a couple plays each that were of the game breaker variety. Well and Regher with his board staining hits again too.

Overall Impressions
A good complete game by the Flames. I really can’t pick on much as they did every thing very well. Perhaps a better effort in the second, but then I’m nit picking. They hit, they shot and they won. Really what more can a guy ask for. I know a blow out is always nice, but this was exciting enough for me. I’ll take a hard worked and low scoring win any day of the week. And this was just that.
I am really having a rough time picking third star. Miikka deserves some accolades forhis play tonight without question. But so does Bertuzzi as he is directly responsible for the first goal and for a large amount of the pressure created. Then there Langkow too who was every where on the ice. Oh well better too many candidates than not enough.

Three Stars By Me
1. Eric Nystrom
2. Miikka Kiprusoff
3. Todd Bertuzzi
HM: Langkow and Bourque who were both with Bertuzzi every step of the way.

Lanny'sDaMan is offline   Reply With Quote