View Single Post
Old
01-03-2009, 12:58 PM
Roulin

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoalJudge View Post
This is really bothering me and I don't know if I'm right or wrong in thinking this but I can't help but be bothered by this. In my eyes at least, we have just a mish-mash of players. We have a ton of youth and a ton of skilled forwards but we don't have any real role definition or core.
That may be a problem. It's hard to put a dominant team on the ice, at the same time as developing as many kids as the Habs are. Of course, a lot of the youth would be in Hamilton if not for all the injuries.

Quote:
Our PP, our top lines, our bottom lines are all scrambled and filled with what seems like the same type of player. Part of it has to do with injuries obviously but even then there's just so much redundancy on this roster.
I don't mind the scrambling at ES. Carbo is dealing with so many injuries, and sheltering so many rookies, that it's pretty much unavoidable.

On the PP, however, I think Carbo has taken too long to identify which players to use. He likes to punish/reward players with PP time, but at some point, he should just use the players who are best suited to the role. Sergei Kostitsyn is the perfect example, in my view. Sergei has had some tough times at ES, but he has always been productive on the PP. If Carbo wants to get the PP going, Sergei should have a regular spot, enough with sending grinders out there.

Quote:
I guess what I'm saying is there's more quantity than quality. IMO we need to consolidate, bring in a couple top-end players or star type players, and get rid of all the youth depth we have.
Agreed, the timing is right to make a quantity for quality trade. Easier said than done, I'm sure. But, if JBo or another dominant player can be had, I think the window of opportunity is open from the Habs' point of view to make that kind of move.

Quote:
I want to see a top line, a good 2nd line, a SHUTDOWN 3rd line (not a mish mash of Lang and some other unproven youngsters trying to do god knows what), and an energy line...

Teams that win the Cup have VERY strict role definition and an easily identifiable core of players. They have stars and role players. I don't see anything like this on our team. Sorry for the long post btw.
Here, I disagree. Since the lockout, the Ducks had a shutdown line/third line. The Canes and Wings did not - Brind'Amour and Zetterberg's lines played against the opposition's best. Lang has done that job this year, and done a fine job. When healthy players are available, Carbo has given Lang at least one winger who can help do the job (Tanguay, Kostopoulos, Higgins). Unfortunately, we have so many good forwards injured, that Carbo has to spread quality players across the lines, especially on the road when the Habs have last change.

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote