View Single Post
01-03-2009, 02:21 PM
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Originally Posted by 49K View Post
My Dolomite comes around to my eyes, and I consider myself a good stickhandler so I haven't had any difficulties stickhandling with a longer stick.
Oh, how's your stride? Your a fast skater I take it? Hockey is 80% skating, not 80% stickhandling. Having the stick come to your chin, will allow the blade to rest on the ice to catch the puck, when you have that 90% knee bend. The 90 % knee bend will give you maximum power in your stride.

With the stick up around your eyes, tells me that you stand up more in order for the blade to receive the puck, which means less power in your stride. Which means that you are a slower skater. Now don't get me wrong, it's ok to be slow. in fact a lot of people skate slow.

I know, right about now you are going to say...I skate find, in fact I am one of the fastest on my team.

Well, you can be faster! If the stick is by your eyes and you are able to control the puck on your stick, then you are leaning too much forward, or your elbows are sticking out.

It just that, the shorter the stick, the more knee bend you will need in order to control the puck. The tall the stick, the less knees bend you will have in order to control the puck.

The less knee bend, the less stride you have, the less power you have. Now the next time you are trying to get around a defensemen with your fancy stick work, keep a mental picture on what happens with the puck when you start that deke.

Head coach

Headcoach is offline   Reply With Quote