View Single Post
Old
01-04-2009, 09:39 AM
dedalus

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
Is it possible...just possible, that we DO have the horses to be score goals?
No. Chosen and sting36e have already pretty well stated what I would, but I'll toss in a few numbers they didnt:

It's all well and good to say Shanny had 40 goals the year before. That ignores the fact that he played on a superior Red Wings team that ended the year with 305 goals and a .756 winning percentage. Fact of the matter is that he played with better players and was able to post .49 GPG.

DESPITE that, he posted .43 goals/game with the Rangers the following year. This is not a substantial dropoff. You also don't bother to state that he had his most productive playoffs since the 01-02 Red Wings team. That playoff performance was just as much a product of Renney's system.

It's all well and good to say Drury scored 37 goals the year before he became a Ranger; it's all well and good to call him a "multiple 30-goal scorer" ... although it seems to me that with exactly TWO 30-goal seasons in eight years, your use of the "multiple" is entirely disingenuous. What you've not mentioned is that the 25 goals he posated that first year under Renney was his highest total in every other season EXCEPT his pair of 30-goal seasons. So it is, presumably, Tom Renney's "fault" that he scored more goals than he did with the Flames and Avalanche, including two years skating on Joe Sakic's left flank.

Bringing Scott Gomez into a post that begins, "Its just amazing though isnt it? Its always the players fault that this team can not score goals." Scott Gomez has never scored goals. Devils fans laughed at the signing for this reason, and they were right to do so. Including him in any conversation about scoring goals is ridiculous.

Last edited by dedalus: 01-04-2009 at 10:14 AM.
dedalus is offline   Reply With Quote