View Single Post
Old
01-04-2009, 07:42 PM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Yes. No one knows how bad the crises will be. One can be hopeful like me and end up losing a million dollars in the market(last 3 months). We don't know how bad this will be. Credit is drying up or individuals and corps are leveraged to the cojones. If retrenchment continues things could get ugly. Many are already predicting this will be as bad as 1974 or 1981. Tickets are already 12 bucks in Florida (17 with parking and a dog). If revenues plummet and owners lose billions (on their teams and corporate affairs) they wont be spending, cap or no cap. Miami, Columbus, SJ, Nash, Atlanta, TB, Minn, Phoeniz, etc will all struggle. The two Alberta teams wont be immune to a falling dollar and 40 dollar oil. The last time the alberta's oil industry crashed (1980-1983) I ended up in a single mens hostel which was better because the salvation army made me pray before I got the soup and a cot. If conditions are worse than those that led to a lockout, then there will eventually be further action demanded by owners. CBA bargaining isnt about the owners willingly submitting to crybaby millionaire kids.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hub City Hab View Post
Ozy, while the cap may be of concern to some clubs like the Habs and Leafs, other clubs have more pressing problems which you have failed to acknowledge. Here is a quote from Spector's website

The Phoenix Coyotes "in severe financial stress and receiving funds from the NHL", cannot make a player move without approval from the league office. "The Club has agreed to consult with us in connection with all significant financial transactions, including those relating to players," deputy commissioner Bill Daly wrote in an e-mail correspondence, confirming reports from several management sources" reports Brooks.

You can be sure that Phoenix isn't the only club in trouble. That has a domino effect. If a club goes down, high priced players become available to compete for jobs on the remaining clubs. Who knows what effect that could have.

If the clubs do survive, you can be sure that they will have to operate closer to the floor than the cap in order to remain financially viable. If fewer clubs were able to pay top dollar the competition for talent would be less, which in turn, could push down salaries.

You don't have to be so condescending with your remarks. You are probably correct in assuming that the cap won't decrease but it would be a hollow victory considering all the problems facing the league. You can almost be assured that it will drop significantly the following year if the world economic situation doesn't improve.

Bettman and Daly seem to be "whistling past the graveyard" in the face of the problems facing the league... at least publicly. I would like to know what kind of contingency plans are being worked out behind the scenes.

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote