View Single Post
Old
01-04-2009, 06:46 PM
nyr7andcounting

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianLeetch2 View Post
Looking over some stats and with pretty much the rest of the league catching up to us in games played we are 3rd overall in the league in shots on goal(4th in the league in shots per game 32.2).....Obviously i cant say how many were quality shots as opposed to perimeter ones but i do agree Renney is to blame for a little (def for sitting prucha for as long as he did) and maybe even his lack of motivation during games but his system cant be all bad when your fourth in the league in shots per game its plain and simple we have no quality goal scorers. The problem mostly fall on the players for our inabilty to score and we had plenty of chances the caps game but didnt convert.....also Prucha rules
Great point. First of all, we don't play a completely wide open style, so in general we won't score as many goals as other teams. Considering that and the fact that over the last 3 years we've gotten very little offensive from our bottom 6 forwards and defenseman, finishing 14th and 18th in goals was pretty good.

As for this season, the fact that we're 4th in shots on goal is the exact reason I can't blame the coaches system for a lack of scoring. The system can create shots on goal, or prevent them, but it's the players who score on those shots.

So if we're getting a lot of shots, but not scoring any goals, I'd put the blame on the players rather than the system. It's possible to say the system is actually working great offensively because we're getting so many shots.

nyr7andcounting is offline   Reply With Quote