Thread: Prospect Info: WJC Thread
View Single Post
Old
01-05-2009, 09:51 PM
Macster

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeless Winter View Post
On a serious note, I got to see alot of great talent I've been wanting to watch.

John Tavares is a stud, I can see why he'll go #1.
Hedman is solid, great positionally, knows what to do with the puck at all times.
Ryan Ellis is probably a top 10 pick and a future PPQB of some team's blueline.
Magnus Svensson Paajarvi was just as good as I thought he would be. Looks like a younger Forsberg.
Jakub Markstrom is the best goalie not in the NHL, I have no idea why Pickard and McCollum were picked above him.
Janoslav Janus will be drafted by somebody.
Maxim Goncharov was a steal by the Coyotes, what a player.
I love Dmitri Kulikov.
I never got the chance to watch Finland, so that was disappointing.
Erik Karlsson was better than I expected.
Colin Wilson is overrated imo, Schroeder and JvR are the better ones on that line.
I didn't see a whole lot of Pietrangelo.
Tedenby & Backlund were impressive.
I'll put our other discussion behind me, and comment on this post. You are spot on on most, but I have to disagree with MSP. I don't see Forsberg, I see more Alfy. That's just me though.

Markstrom was picked later simply because there was talk that he was going to take a 3mil deal over in Sweden, where he will play pro right away. Otherwise, he was the top goalie in the past draft. That said, he showed tonight that he needs to learn to control his emotions. He wasn't focused at all, and was looking for a call any time anybody went near him. When his own defenseman accidently elbowed him, he flopped like a seal and whined to the refs.

IMO this tourny has cemented Ellis' spot in the top 10. If his shot wasn't so hard and accurate, he might not be a lock for the top 10, but he's got it for sure. I'd love to get him on the Jackets, especially if Russ is traded.

Janus plays in Erie, so NA scouts know all about him. He's incredibly streaky, luckily for the Slovaks he was "on" for this tourny. I can see him going down the same path as Sebastien Dahm, in Syracuse. A Euro who needs to hone his skills who will take the long road to the NHL.

Kulikov doesn't do much for me, but Chudinov the blueliner really impressed me. The Russians haven't developed a lot of quality defensemen (since Toots really) so it's good to see Voinov and Chudinov as the future of Russian blueliners.

Macster is offline   Reply With Quote