Old
01-06-2009, 01:03 PM
mikedifr

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rban View Post
I think there are only 2 reasons this is being discussed:

1. Coburn will need to be re-signed and will need a raise;

2. There is a widespread feeling (that I share) that the defense is one piece short of being truly world-class... and it'll take at least 5-6 mln/yr to fill that piece.
I dont necessarily disagree with this, but making this defense world class could be an upgrade on Carle, couldnt it???

Nothing is going to happen this year with Briere or an upgrade to the defense, so lets talk next year.

Coburn/Timonen are set as your top pairing. I am perfectly happy with some kind of combination of Sbisa/Parent/Vaananen as your bottom 3. Its that #3 guy. Carle may get much better, he may not. But if you are getting another elite dman like a Jbo or someone along those lines, I think you could replace Carle and he is making $3.5 to begin with so that would go towards the $6-7 million for a Jbo.

I dont think you will ever have enough money to re-sign Coburn and add another elite dman in addition to Carle without seriously depleting your forwards.

2-3 years down the road when Giroux/JVR are true top 6 players (hopefully) that can be relied on maybe, however, right now you have your top line and Carter, and then you have very streaky guys offensively like Lupul and Hartnell rounding out your top 6. I dont think you can afford to lose the clutch offensive play of Briere at this point.

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote