View Single Post
Old
01-06-2009, 05:55 PM
nuck
Axis of Evil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by p-skank View Post
He can't WALK. They will offer him a qualifying contract offer, match if someone brings a contract (up to $4 million = 1st, 2nd and 3rd draft pick) and deal him in a year. Plus this would give him another season to try and become an elite winger with Sid Crosby.

That being said, if Staal doesn't show some life in the coming months, why would a GM offer him a $4 million deal? Remember, the cap is going down in 2010-11.
I think that's $4 million 2005 dollars so actually up to 5.2 million today. The Oilers paid over $4 million for Dustin Penner. Really the first, second, third pick compensation is not a bad deal for a team if the first isn't a high one. You guys are dreaming if you think he will sign for $3 million. Everybody's hyping his defensive skills and how he almost hit 30 goals as a rookie. You don't think his agent hasn't noticed that as well?
If he sucks the second half how bad do you want him long term? If he rocks the second half somebody will write him an offer sheet and the Pens will lose him for picks in the 20s, 50s, and 80s.
What's a higher risk, that Staal will mature and excell or that the 25th pick over all will ever make the NHL? Even if the cap drops there will be teams that have the space, vets not resigned or whatever. The biggest impediment is probably the mindset some GMs have that if they leave others UFAs alone, theirs will be left alone.
I don't have a solution. i have suggested moving him in the past, but that assumed a pretty high return. If that return isn't offered it is a moot point.