View Single Post
Old
01-11-2009, 10:35 AM
Go Habs Go

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
Please provide evidence of when a GM from a real team with real playoff aspirations in the real world traded away their contributing UFA veterans at the deadline. How often has it happened?

Souray was contributing, despite his defensive flaws. Rivet was ill and not contributing and San Jose was totally DESPERATE for a RH defenceman so they vastly overpaid. Also don't forget, the Habs got Gorges in the deal, so it wasn't a pure vet for draft pick deal. We got a roster player back too who was arguably just as good or better than the guy we gave up.

If in 2009 Bob Gainey trades Saku Koivu, Alexei Kovalev, Alex Tanguay, Robert Lang and Mike Komisarek at the deadline for five first round draft picks and a couple of lower picks, he should be fired. What Timmins could do with those picks is irrelevant.
Good post but the return would be more then 5 1st round picks and a couple of lower picks and no, if this happened, Gainey would not be fired.

If we gave away the Leafs 2nd round pick (high 2nd rounder probably) for Lang, at the trade deadline when he isn't 4 mil anymore, he should be worth a bit more. Same with Tanguay, we gave a 1st and a 2nd, at the deadline when his salary is irrelevant, he'll be worth more. I would imagine 5-8 first rounder, a handful of young players and a lot of lower picks, not a couple. We would have so many draft picks that I think it would be very probable that we find a superstar, maybe even more.

It would be unfortunate if they did a move like that this year and I would certainly hope they don't but Gainey would have to get authority from the owner to make such a drastic move and no, he would not be fired because of it if he was given the green light.

Go Habs Go is offline   Reply With Quote