View Single Post
Old
01-12-2009, 08:30 AM
BlackTuuk

vCash: 500
Holmgren's [surprising] thoughts on JVR

"Flyers GM Paul Holmgren hasn't been thrilled with the development of LW James vanRiemsdyk after getting a chance to see the 19-year-old at the world junior championship in Ottawa. A first-round pick (No. 2 overall) in 2007, vanRiemsdyk plays at the University of New Hampshire. Holmgren thinks it's time for a higher education. "(VanRiemsdyk) would have been better off if he came out last year," Holmgren told Comcast's Tim Panaccio."

http://www.ottawasun.com/Sports/Hock...84086-sun.html

I know the Sun is shiite*, but the statements come as somewhat of a shock to me. I mean, the kid has elevated his skills as far as the collegiate level goes. And, while JVR never needed the growth development in the same way that Turris did, JVR appears to have benefited from staying another year.

I note, though, I am not a GM, Scout, and totally trust Holmgren's judgment. I would hope a rift in the relationship is not coming, as JVR has already went on record stating that he would consult his family and support group regarding whether he should attend school next year: that is fair, but hardly expressing that I am likely leaving and going pro next year. I actually don't care if he elects to stay another year in college. I think Turris DEFINITELY could have used another year of development there. Some guys, especially big men, have been said to need longer to develop.

BlackTuuk is offline   Reply With Quote