Old
01-12-2009, 12:01 PM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
Quote:
Originally Posted by opus View Post
I for one, don't share the hatred for Jones that some around these parts do, but in fairness to the guy...he has gotten better.

From 2006/07 - 2007/08 he progressed quite nicely.

If anything, Carle has taken a step back. What evidence do you have to suggest his cieling is higher? Maybe he had one great season...and that output simply isn't reasonable.

Not saying it is, just being the devils advocate.
let me just preface by saying that i don't hate jones. if he were paid less, i'd gladly keep him since i think he's one of the better 3rd pairing guys in the league. with carle, we've seen already what he's capable of, even if he's no longer achieving those points. he's taken a step back, but i'm of the opinion that we should give him a chance to get back to form.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
Jones was +8 last year, second only to Coburn at +17.

Timonen was even

Kukkonen was +3
Parent -4
Smith -4

Hmmmm who was tops in plus-minus during the playoffs? Guess we'll have to look that up...

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/teams/ph...ostseason_2007
+/- is such an ambiguous stat that i'm really hesitant to make interpretations of it. i'm more basing my post on constantly seeing gaffes on the part of jones, some of which don't result in goals but certainly allow scoring chances. i realize that a lot of players make mistakes, but it seems that i notice jones more often than others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inebriator View Post
Coburn has not been nearly as bad people here make him out to be. A little dissapointing? Sure. But he hasn't been that bad
i can't say i haven't been concerned, but at this point, i'm willing to just blame it on sophomore slump.

LEIFey is online now   Reply With Quote