View Single Post
Old
01-12-2009, 12:22 PM
BlackTuuk

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
Holmgren is worried about his development not whether or not he is playing in the NHL today. He felt that the AHL or OHL was better for his development because he feels JVR needed more games to develop. I think he feels JVR's development has been set back.

This is from Gare Joyce's blog at sportsnet:

More typical was the (non-)performance of James van Riemsdyk, Wilson's winger and the Flyers' first-round pick, No. 2 overall, behind Patrick Kane. This was his third trip to the WJC. He had been a dominant player at the spring under-18s in 2007, man among boys. But since then: pffftt. Said one scout after the Slovakia game: "He isn't any better than he was two seasons ago. He might have even gone backwards as a player since he went from [USA Hockey's] under-18 program to UNH [the University of New Hampshire]." Yup, he scored a near-meaningless goal late in the Slovakia game but his most memorable moment will be his tumbling over the boards when pounded by Canada's Stefan Della Rovere.
Ouch. I don't deny that the OHL and to a greater degree WHL would have prepared the kid better than college hockey. The O, and Dub, are the best prep, no? But he wanted an education, so all are left to respect that much, I suppose.

But I really am starting to believe all these accounts now. Maybe he was harmed by staying in college and needs to join the team at the end of this college season. This is like the 4th or 5th account now, that has been in concert with the others.

Does anyone know if the kid has become more physical?

BlackTuuk is offline   Reply With Quote