Thread: Carle vs Jones
View Single Post
Old
01-12-2009, 01:39 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tytech View Post
What are you basing this arguement on? I started the thread cause I knew what type of comments would be had and I was ready to defend.
I'll agree that Carle's a much better defenseman than Jones and it isn't even close. I'm ready to argue.

Quote:
Your points;
Let's go over each one shall we?

Quote:
1)Carles celing is higher? How? Carle has faltered since having a good rookie season.
Carle hasn't faltered. The problem in San Jose was Ron Wilson. Ask any Sharks fan and they will tell you that after Carle's rookie season, Wilson for some reason clamped down on him real hard and expected Carle to play perfect hockey. When Carle didn't, Wilson completely messed with him and had him on such a ridiculously short leash, there was no way he would ever be able to achieve what he did in his rookie season. How does he go from being a competent, puck moving defenseman who can run a power play to someone who is consistently stuck in the coach's dog house for no reason? Ron Wilson was 100% to blame for the Carle's bad season last year.

Carle was never going to be a number one d-man and that he needed a mentor. When Carle got to Tampa Bay, it was a mess of a situation. Funny thing is, when Carle got here, noticed how the Flyers started to turn their game around? He's been one of the better puck moving d-men on this team. He's going to make a mistake or two on defense, but this is a 23 year old defenseman who is only going to get better and better. I'm willing to bet that when he reaches Jones' age, he'll absolutely destroy anything that Randy Jones ever did in the orange and black.

Quote:
2)Jones isn't going to get much better. Statistically, Jones has gotten better every year!
Jones started in the league at what age? Carle was a 21, going on 22 year old defenseman when he started. Jones was what, 25-26? Jones also played college hockey right through as a senior and also played in the AHL for a year? Little bit more maturity there so I'm going to say that yeah, Jones is going to improve a little bit year after year. However, as others have pointed out, Jones is going to be 28 and you know what, he still manages to trip over his own two feet at least twice a game and always gives up an inopportune play. Jones should be fed to the lions at this point because he's not going to get any better from here on in. Jones has plateaued and what we see is what we're going to get from him.

Quote:
3)If Carle can get back to where he was? Last year, Jones had a very similar season to what you hope Carle amounts to from three years ago. Statistically, Jones is closer to being where we need Carle to be.
Once again, there's about four or five years in age difference between the two. Wait until Carle turns 25 and really matures. He'll be everything that all the Jones lovers wishes he was. Jones couldn't wipe Carle's backside if his life depended on it. Maybe we'll get lucky and Jones' other hip will start acting up on him.

Quote:
Carles best season is 11 points more than Jones' best. Carle's was in 06-07 and Jones' was last year. If you look at last year alone, Jones had 31 points and Carle had 15. Is that 11 points more from two years ago worth 800,000 more than jones, plus 3.5 for two more years after?
Carle's best season came as a 22 year old. The best is yet to come. That hack named Jones got lucky and his 31 points will be the best he'll ever see in Philadelphia, unless he gets his backside shipped to the Phantoms. Even then, Jones would probably play second fiddle to Syvret there. Jones is nothing more than an over glorified version of John Slaney who made it to the big show just because our blue line was in bad, bad, bad shape.

Quote:
No.
Yes.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote