View Single Post
Old
01-12-2009, 05:20 PM
captainpaxil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post

UNH fans *****ing and moaning, what else is new. I mean, I don't give a crap if he's "dominating" or not as long as he's putting up points and scoring goals which he's doing. According to most of my friends, he's the best player in Hockey East right now and probably the MVP of the league..
thats sorta the point. hes already the best player at the level of competition hes playing.

Quote:
If you look at the percentage of NHL caliber players in Hockey East and NHL caliber players in the entire OHL, I'd bet they're fairly similar.

Teams like BC, BU, UNH, and Maine (although not as much recently) have talented, physical teams.

This whole Canadian superiority complex gets annoying at times. There are a lot of crappy teams in the NCAA, no doubt, but conferences like Hockey East and WCHA are just as competitive and hard to play in, if not harder, than the OHL. Look at Parise, top-5 in scoring and Vanek, playing in college hasn't hurt them one bit and they both spent multiple years in college..
more than two years at either level should be unnecessary for a 1st rd pick let alone one in the top 5.

Quote:
That would be an absolutely moronic move by Holmgren. Frankly, the Flyers should be begging JVR to stay in school. His cap hit is going to be a major, major problem and if he were spending up cap time in the AHL, it's even worse.
he doesnt count against the cap on the phantoms and doesnt count towards having a year of service so far as the nhl is concerned untill he plays 11 nhl games. he does however disqualify himself from returning to the ncaa once he recieves a check from a professional hockey team.

Quote:
And I'm not just looking at stats. I go to a Hockey East school, I have friends at Hockey East schools. We watch JVR fairly consistently. The guy is doing fine.

Also keep in mind that Holmgren is not the end-all be-all of GMs. This is the guy that wanted to trade Carter and a 1st for Kaberle, let's not get ahead of ourselves here.

The whole notion that JVR spending multiple years in college is somehow hurting his development is absurd.

Funny that I've never heard the same criticisms about Oshie, Parise, Vanek, or Toews.

Hmm, all of those guys seem to be doing just fine in the NHL, what a shocker.

both parise and vanek played two years at college then a year in the ahl which is the route im suggesting we take with jvr. toews made the jump right to the nhl after two years of college which wouldnt be out of the question. staying in college longer says he is off projection to be compared to those players.

captainpaxil is offline   Reply With Quote