View Single Post
Old
01-12-2009, 10:55 PM
lou4gehrig

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by davedave View Post
It's hard to know how bad the contract will be in ten years. Revenues might grow again sharply after the recession. And I also wonder: are player salaries indexed to inflation? Probably. But there is also the possibility of some kind of relief in a future CBA. If there are too many deadweight contracts like there were last time, there might be ways to mitigate the pain. So the cap hit might not be too bad. (To be honest, I don't really care about the owner's money in trying to analyze whether I like this rumour as a Habs fan.)

As for the players involved, if Mackenzie is right, then that is a very ouchy price to pay. They're all good players, but Gorges is maybe the hardest to part with because he has no immediate replacement and he is very inexpensive. It just weakens a defence that needs improving. If Ranger were included, then it's not as bad, but I'd rather just keep Gorges.

Anyway, I think the Habs have enough depth that they could make this deal without being barren for the future. If Subban goes, there's still Carle and Weber, McDonagh, O'Byrne and perhaps even the wayward duo of Emelin and Valentenko. Conveniently, Koivu and Tanguay could replace Plekanec and Higgins in a matter of weeks. There is still Pacioretty, D'Agostini, the Kostitsyns, Latendresse, Lapierre, Maxwell and Chipchura in the now or near future. The draft picks, undisclosed at the moment, are another matter, but I think the organization could absorb the loss of the rumoured players in a trade for Lecavalier.

Unless the guy's shoulder is Havlat-chronic, I would probably make that deal, though the Gorges aspect bugs me. And for whatever it's worth, I'd make that deal as TB.
When has signing a superstar, franchise center to a long-term contract ever been a bad investment? Ever?

And no, I'm talking about freakin' Briere, because he is neither a superstar nor a franchise center.

Like I keep saying, 6 games missed in 6 seasons. Do not question his durability.