View Single Post
Old
08-03-2004, 04:06 PM
mikedifr

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh
I think JR wants out because he's a real competitor and he doesn't think that the Flyers will contend for a couple of years. I would mind letting him tear up that contract and then signing Demitra and Zhamnov to two 3 year deals, I think they are both more creative and they don't run their mouths a lot. Demitra can also play wing. The idea of a Gagne-Zhamnov-Demitra 1st line is incredible, each member there could put up 65-75 points. Hmmmm, do you think Phoenix would take Amonte back too?...
If we got Demitra I would play him with Handzus, they played some of their best hockey of their careers together. Assuming you would have to rid the team of LeClair, Amonte and Roenick to sign those two, here is what my first three lines would look like

Gagne Zhamnov Rado
Knuble/Somik Handzus Demitra
Kapanen Primeau Sharp/Eager/Somik/Knuble/Umberger

Rado would add grit and corner work to the first line and take some of the physical play away from the other two. Yes, I know Somik is more of a 4th liner than 2nd liner, but he plays well with Handzus, and these two made Lubos Bartecko effective in St Louis, who as far as I know is no longer in the NHL. This all also would change if one of the young players like Eager or Umberger made the team. I think Umberger's future with this team will be at LW.

The 4th line will be Turner Stevenson, Carter if he makes the team and another winger. If you remember, Joe Thornton started as a 4th liner to get accustomed to the NHL. He could also see spot duty on the top 3 lines for the inevitable 40 games that Primeau and Zhamnov will miss combined.