View Single Post
Old
08-03-2004, 04:08 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMarleyNYR
Of course it's in debate! Just as is the conflict of 'who was a better hockey player, Lemieux or Wayne-o?' Facts point to Gretzky, but some maintain it was Super Mario...

But to get back to the OT subject in question, yes it is debated... however, I've studied evolution and cultural history for a good six years now, and in the last 2-3 years, the general belief is that it was caucasian who initially settled the continent. They don't know who... theories include viking explorers and maybe even indigenous peoples. There were certainly numerous other explorers who DISCOVERED the land first, IMO (seems like a hockey acronym!). But it is widely believed there were settlers long before the "native" Americans.

Not saying you're wrong at all, this is just what my studies have semi-concluded. I say that they "hide" these theories, because many people are far too ignorantly pride-oriented, and they miss the point. This is no dis to the tribal peoples of the Americas. I think it's ****ed up, what the Europeans did to them, and I'm all for expanding reservations!
Viking Explorers? I thought you were talking about a time of more than 12,500 years ago--for many years, the dominant theory of how and when people first came to North America was that they came from Asia via the "land bridge" that appeared around 12,000-13,000 years ago. This theory has been increasingly questioned and it now appears that the Americas were peopled much earlier than that. There is some evidence that people did travel by boat from Europe much earlier (as in thousands of years) than Columbus or the Vikings (and indeed it is recognized that the Vikings made it at least as far as Newfoundland and probably much further down the east coast around 1000AD), but so far the vast majority of evidence points to various people coming from different parts of Asia and the Pacific Rim, perhaps as early as 40,000 years ago (I just did a google seach and found an article, linked below about a documentary that ran on the BBC about how Australians came to South America 40,000 years ago), although, most physical evidence dates back only about 15,000 years.

This area of study is fairly young and has advanced greatly over the last 25 years. There are much more advanced scientific tools that help archaelogists find better information and sites but "the answer" is not yet been found. Plus, there is a good chance that we will never really know the answer because sea levels have changed greatly over the last 50,000 years and the answer may very well be under hundreds of feet of sea water.

Edit: forgot the link--turns out I read the date wrong and the documentary is from 1999.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/430944.stm

Last edited by Brooklyn Ranger: 08-03-2004 at 04:15 PM.