View Single Post
Old
01-13-2009, 11:41 AM
alkurtz

vCash: 500
Totally disagree about the Jackie Robinson Rotunda. As Ranger fans we are heirs to a special tradition, the Original Six, that most of us regard as special and holds us to unique obligations to preserve the history of the game.

As a Mets fan, I am part of another unique tradition....that of National League baseball in New York....a tradition that predates the Yankees by a quarter of a century.

Jackie Robinson is part of that tradition. His importance in American history cannot be overstated and his role in making America more open society worthy of respect and admiration.

The Rotunda is not a way to appeal to minority fans, but a recognition of JRs role in baseball, NY, and American history. As an old NY baseball Giants fan, I am glad its there. He transcends baseball: as much as I love Seaver, et al, they are not worthy of a rotunda; a statue, yeh, but nothing more.

But lets face facts. Before Citi Field was named, there was a groundswell of support to name the stadium after JR: even as that old Giants fan, I was much in favor of that.

Once the Wilpons sold out and ran off with the cash from Citi (by the way, I hear they are in financial trouble yet again), and alienated many, they named the rotunda after JR to appease all the people coming down on them. Just a typical, cheap, second class move from my beloved Mets.

alkurtz is offline   Reply With Quote