Thread: Line Combos: What is your ideal 4th line?
View Single Post
Old
01-16-2009, 02:42 PM
Fletch

vCash: 500
I dunno Dagoon and Rags...I thought that 15 years ago there were your fair share of "goons" out there - guys who played 2-3 minutes and whose knuckles scraped along the ice. Sure Probert was more than serviceable, as was even Domi, but you also had guys like Grissom, Vukota, Twist, etc. What I think you had a heck of a lot of back then are middleweights - guys like Graves, Neely, Tocchet, Primeau (young), Barnaby, Brad May, Beuk and tons others who were more than willing fighters/protectors but were also top six players or top four defensemen (OK, maybe Brad May wasn't). There were just more willing fighters and that has to do with the makeup of players in the game. Boy I loved those days. And this is the reason why enforcers do not work. If you f'd with the Rangers' top guy, be it Leetch or Mess, Beuk or Graves was on you. You mess with Craig Janney or Bourque, there was Neely. You messed with Gretzky, there was Semenko, or McSorley. Going after Lemieux? There was Tocchet, Cunneyworth or Stevens. It's so much more effective when you have guys who can play 20 minutes per night and be on the ice with those in need of protection. The enforcer coming out for 4-5 minutes for a stare-down shift, or a fight against the other team's enforcer who was not the trouble maker, just is not effective in my opinion.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote