View Single Post
Old
01-20-2009, 01:51 AM
Kritter471

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Kritter471
HF - I saw three goals in this game, all Tampa in the third period. The defense was at fault on the second (honest to god, guys, why can't they cover anyone in the slot? I just don't understand). The third looked like he had a clean view of it, and he probably should have stopped it, but it was also a wicked shot from Lecavalier. The fourth was an empty net. IIRC from what I read, the first was a shorthanded breakaway which again, goes to defensive breakdowns.

So of four goals, Turco should have stopped one. I'd say that means the defense remains the majority of the problem.

I did not see much of Smith cause I couldn't watch closely. I would not be surprised if the Tampa defense was worse and he was better than Turco. And again, I don't think all that highly of Turco. I just think the Stars defense is much, much worse.

The goal I got the best look at was the empty netter, where Sydor both abandoned any pressure where he could have forced a turnover or at least kept the Lightning from advancing with an odd-man, didn't communicate with his partner and didn't give up his body or even really try to block the shot. His half-hearted swipe tipped the puck right into the net.

And really, why is Sydor out in the last minute when they need a goal?

The only thing we really disagree about, HF, is if Turco or the defense is the root of the problem and the deadline strategy (I think they should stand pat unless a great offer either way comes along, not be an active buyer or seller).

Kritter471 is offline   Reply With Quote