View Single Post
Old
01-22-2009, 10:56 PM
Moo
Moooooooooooooooo!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKETfan View Post
Optimus, you need to re-read Skraut's point: The director/producer is working with an "away" crew, not his own. And they are beholden to feeds provided by the local operators, and rented equipment. No wonder the coverage can change game to game.

As far as what our announcers say, I challenge you to sit and call an intelligible mistake-free game for 60 minutes. Try it next time you are way up in "C" deck at the Nat, with someone talking in your ear, and an 11" monitor in front of you. Trying to follow, understand and RELATE everything that's going on in this fast moving game, AND trying to provide color commentary is a tough job.

Interesting phenomenon:
As mentioned, I watch on gamecenter.nhl.com --and when we're away, you can only get the Home team's broadcasters, so I switch to the Away radio option to hear Bill and George. But the radio broadcast is about 20 seconds BEHIND the video feed. It's annoying, but it's also funny.... It's like George and Bill are calling a different game.
JACKETfan,

Trust me, I have experience in the general field. Not at the pro level, but experience and familiarity nonetheless. But I don't care who you are, there's NO EXCUSE for the minor errors that go on CONSISTENTLY.

If there's a flub of a name on-air or a minor typo, okay, fine, but when the same name is butchered, when the same mistakes are on air, sorry, but there has to be a sense of accountability.

In my job, which is different from live TV, if I screw up, I hear about it and I'm held accountable. I make darn sure not to make the same mistakes again.

It's naive to expect 100 percent perfection in a fast-paced game, but some things can be done better, and for people covering hockey on a regular basis, they should be done better. I think we deserve better than that. I don't care what the cost of the production is or the nature of the TV contract or whatever, there should be a sense of pride to do the job right. I don't care if it's the B-team on the road producing the game, it should be done right. And some of the stuff that has consistently gone on and hasn't been fixed? It goes from being just a rare mistake to no one gives a damn about making a good quality broadcast.

Moo is offline   Reply With Quote