View Single Post
Old
01-23-2009, 09:21 AM
mikedifr

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dig Out Your Soul View Post
When he actually does those things, you probably have a point. But even then, we have too many big money contracts among the forwards. It's not a terribly challenging concept. You can't have two-thirds of your cap devoted to your top 6 forwards. Other key players need contracts soon like goalies and Coburn, JVR has to be fit in for around $3M. Lupul just can't be on this team if we expect to have any depth or defense whatsoever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
I actually was gonna quote him and comment earlier but I really didnt feel like it. You pretty much summed it up. Ill add in a few things. Horton, Staal, Gionta, and Williams shouldnt be on that list. When Lupul gets as many points (who cares if he gets 30 goals, Knuble gets 30 f'ing goals) as those other guys did, Ill acknowledge his contract. But for being a POTENIAL 30 goal scorer, and plays the pk (which 90% of our team plays) he's at the moment not worth the money, plain and simple.
I agree with both of you....and I think the point a lot of people miss about moving Lupul is that when most of say to trade Lupul, it has nothing to do with him per say, but the fact that of all the guys you would think about moving he is potentially the easiest to replace.

- Richards, Carter, Gagne, Briere (for arguments sake) are not going anywhere.
- Knuble can potentially be moved but 1) I think you really disrupt the chemistry of this team by moving him and I personally rather keep him for the rest of this season and use his money next year.

- We dont really have anyone internally to replace what Upshall and Hartnell bring to the team with Downie now gone. I like what I have seen from Kalinski and Powe but they are 4th liners in my opinion, not guys that can play on any line like Hartnell and Upshall

That leaves Lupul. We have Giroux, JVR and potentially Nodl that can bring to this team what Lupul brings us and potentially more.

Again, I like Lupul. I wouldnt mind keeping him for the rest of his career to be honest but he is going to be making $4 million next year. We can potentially easily replace him with Giroux who will still be on an entry level contract.

With that said, if Briere is gone for the rest of the year I dont think you can afford to move Lupul until the offseason.