Thread: OT: Future of the NHL
View Single Post
Old
01-23-2009, 04:46 PM
ukyo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by piston View Post
The good news is the Kings losses are fairly moderate, and big deferred salary obligations made by McNall have come off the books. With the huge amount being made by AEG in developing downtown real estate and in Staples Center, AEG has a huge vested interest in keeping the Kings around and making sure they are successful. Merchants at the new mall are being charged premium rent secure in the knowledge that a lot of hockey fans are going to coming down 41+ times a year. If there is contraction, and I believe there has to be, the Kings are not going to be even considered.
Thank you for this writeup, piston. This is actually very enlightening.

This may just be the cynic in me, but it actually doesn't mean to me that AEG has a vested interest in making sure the team is successful; just that they need to fill seats and make sure there are fans that take that trip to Staples. I would even go so far as to suggest that RAISING ticket prices plays into this if they wanted to raise the average income of an attending fan.

More of a reason to NOT attend games if the product on the ice is not to your liking.

ukyo is offline   Reply With Quote