View Single Post
Old
08-08-2004, 04:31 PM
nyr7andcounting

vCash: 500
The RFA guidlines now are put together so that teams that have the rights to young players can easily keep those rights until those players hit UFA.

The new CBA is something else and no one knows what's coming, but I think that the RFA compensation will stay as is, with the UFA age getting lowered to 28-30. That seems like the most possible and most logical change to the RFA process. I highly doubt that compensation for RFA's will be lowered enough in the new CBA to make it worth while for teams to sign RFA's.

With the new CBA likely to keep compensation the same, it is absolutely not worth it for teams to sign RFA's from other teams. I would love to have Gaborik, I would love to have Thornton, but why in the world would we give up our next 3 or 4 1st round picks just for one player. And if there were any player that were worth the compensation, it would only be because he signed a low offer with us, thus we wouldn't have to give up that much compensation. But, in that case, the team that owns his rights would match the offer 99% of the time.

BTW, a quick question now that I am on this topic. How are bonuses figured in to RFA offer sheets? Do teams have to match the exact offer sheet, or just the average yearly salary, without bonuses? Or are bonuses added along with the base salaries and average out over the length of the contract, providing for a yearly average which has to be matched? I knew this, but for some reason it slipped my mind.... anyone that can clarify for me I would appreciate it.