Old
01-27-2009, 12:41 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canad93 View Post
Not true.
A lot of times the players style and positioning have a lot to do with it...If you have the 'scoring touch' but you don't have the smarts to go where you need to be, it doesn't work.
Yeah, are we talking skill or smarts here? As a beginner I'm lacking in the skills department, I'm not the type that can beat a competent defender 1 on 1 or deke a goalie out of his pants. But hockey smarts I have in spades, letting me score at a good pace right from the start. Whether its cleaning up the garbage (which is a bit more complicated than just going to the net), seeing the goalie cheat pass on a 2 on 1 and taking the shot, or using the defender as a screen to shoot through, I was always able to keep pace with the ringers in my beginners division.

First thing for the OP though, hows your shot? As a dman I'd imagine your shop shot is good, wristers probably decent as well, but what about the backhand? If you take a puck a few feet from the board and try shooting it high, how often do you get it up? If it's only like 1 in 5 you need to practice that a lot more, since obviously the easiest way to score is to pick up a rebound in front of the net where it's 50/50 that you get it backhand or forehand. If you can't do one you don't have the time to switch.

Anyways, now that I think about it I'm not really sure what to say for advice on crashing the crease. It's not so much about the 'crashing' as it is anticipating where the rebound may end up. Sometimes you want to be screening the goalie (D point shot), other times you want to hang back a bit for that long rebound (on the rush), and other times sneak into the back door. An example of scoring on this last one, while playing LW, the puck was on the right side, and the RW was taking a shot from an angle in the slot, with the C in front of the net with other teams D. Rather than crash the net with him I snuck in behind the play a few feet from the opposite post, so when the puck bounced off a few people and landed on my side, I had all the time in the world to put it in.

RandV is offline   Reply With Quote