Thread: Whom to trade
View Single Post
Old
01-27-2009, 03:15 PM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

vCash: 500
I would be surprised if there were no trades by Gainey this year. The obvious reason is that this year is Go Time!, being the centennial and all. The other reason is that the Habs have a lot of marketable depth.

The Habs have 5 sets of NHL wingers, and several competent AHL spares left over.

Tanguay, Higgins, Kovalev, AKostitsyn, SKostitsyn, Latendresse, Kostopolous, Begin, Laraque, Dandenault
+
Pacioretty, D'Agostini, Stewart

So let's scratch Dandenault off the list and just pretend that he's gone. That still leaves 12 players for 8 regular spots, and every one of them has shown that he can be a useful player in one of those 8 spots. IMO, two of the AHLers should stay with the team. Pacioretty has impressed me more than SKostitsyn did last year, and D'Agostini is proving to be an honest, versatile player whose presence seems to stimulate some of the younger "veterans".

I think Gainey would be crazy if he weren't thinking about improving the team in other areas by trading one of those wingers. Especially a guy like Higgins, who has good value, but who has to be re-signed with a raise, and who can probably be replaced on the ice, as he in fact has been for most of this season.

Someone else might say Tanguay, or even Kovalev. It's not necessarily a stupid question followed by a stupid answer. Would I package Higgins to land Pronger? Yes. Would I trade Tanguay out West if a GM offered a Rivet-like package? Quite possibly. It's just a question of context, as jolly as it is to pretend that it's a question of principle.