View Single Post
Old
01-27-2009, 05:28 PM
zakhawk91

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DapperDan View Post
got the same problem, same left leg symptoms and everything, which means we probably herniated the same discs or thereabouts. it still persists every now and then for me. it's a slow road to getting back in top form. depending on the degree of the herniation, it may take longer to get back to 100% and if it's severe enough, you may never get there at all (look at what happened to Eric Daze...). Pain meds help on a temporary basis but basically all you can do is stretch and stay active. in the beginning, take it easy and avoid bending over excessively at all costs, it only inflames the nerves more and causes more pain. don't sit for long stretches of time either. if you're in class, you may have to stand up from time to time and just stretch your back. it may be embarrassing but it helps. Also, the looser your leg muscles are, the less pain you will experience. Running helps me now but I would avoid it if I were you until I was sure I was ready. i herniated my disc near february or march some time (i was 17 then too) and i still feel some pain now and then but it's less frequent. i did several sessions of physical therapy and while it helped for a short while and i learned valuable techniques, i gotta be honest, i don't really use em that much out of laziness. if you want a faster recovery though, i would suggest doing everything i didn't haha Hope that helps.

P.S. I forgot to mention that if your back pain gets worse but your leg pain disappears, that's a good sign. It means the inflammation is going down and the herniation is receding. No one told me that at first so I was worried when my back got worse for a while.

haha thanks for the advice man. sounds like you have the same exact thing. funny you mentioned daze, he used to be my favorite player on my favorite team. didn't know he had a disc injury, makes me nervous.
my therapist was telling me the same thing you were. he basically telling me that i want to trade my leg pain for the back pain i felt when i first hurt my back at practice.
thanks for the post man you were very helpful

zakhawk91 is offline   Reply With Quote