View Single Post
Old
01-28-2009, 09:07 AM
Noldo

vCash: 500
Actually negotiating with some of the UFAs during the season (Komisarek) and not making offers to some (Kovalev) could be a distraction to the team, so if Gainey has grounded confidence on ability to negotiate deal after season (ie. in June), making the deal could be left to off-season.

There is truly one UFA that could be signed without any reaction by others (Koivu), but since he can offer team some cap flexibility (lengt and sie of contract), he is better left last.

Everyone (including Alex himself) probably understands that Tanguay won't be signed during the season, especially now with his injuries.

The true questionmark is Kovalev. I would suspect that keeping him is real question. And how would Kovalev react (he is very human in that sense) if Gainey would negotiate with Komisarek (ok, so Mike is a keeper?), but not with Kovalev (give more or let it slip?)

Since there is quite much uncertainty regarding cap for the next year (and beyond), it might be very good tactic to wait with signings. Moreover, some big cap pieces might fall place around deadline, so after that I suspect Gainey knows much better where the team stands and what can actually be offered to Komisarek.

I have no worries. I will start panicking if Komi isn't signed around Draft Day.

Noldo is offline   Reply With Quote