View Single Post
Old
01-28-2009, 12:23 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Well, what if his plan was the put the 1st line out there after 30 seconds of the fourth line? What if they then go out and score? What if it's because the fourth line got the puck deep and worked it around?

Again, I don't think Renney really puts them out there with the idea that they need to go play defense and not let in a goal.

But a lot of this also comes down to how you feel about the fourth line. I'm fairly ambivalent about them in general...Betts and Sjostrom are good, solid players. Orr I can do without but I understand why Renney plays him so that the lineup has someone who can do some fighting. Most of the time the line does their job, so it's no big deal.

So, eh, yeah it's probably not as aggressive a strategy as it could be, but I don't think Renney is the only one in the league who does this (heck, sometimes other teams put out their fourth line after they get scored on, in an attempt to wake up their team or something).

And to the person who said the fourth line shouldn't get a regular shift, I don't think many teams in the NHL only play 3 lines these days Seems like everyone plays 4 lines for the most part. Playing 3 lines is a good way to wear out your best players too.
ive been around this game my entire life. as a player, a coach, a hockey parent, etc. every single hockey team has a 4th line and that line plays the least. they are the weakest players. period. its not about playing 3 lines and tiring them out, its about coaching the team properly and playing them when you can and not playing them when you shouldnt. top 9 forwards play the most. top 6 even more. with special teams pp and pk, im not so sure these athletes will be that over worked or tired if you play the 4th line less at even strength.

the 4th line should get a regular shift when you are way ahead. early in games to roll 4 lines. or when you are way behind and the game is over.

4th line sit times are any close games in crunch time. end of periods. when you are behind or ahead by 1 goal. against the other teams top line. right after you score or give up a goal. last 5 minutes of tie or close game in the 3rd period.

in other words, play the 4th when its prudent. shorten the bench when you need to.

offdacrossbar is online now   Reply With Quote