Old
01-28-2009, 05:40 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Another point that should be made:

If you have no problems with Renney and the strategy he has instituted, you cannot take issue with the fact that the players with big contracts aren't putting up big points. As he has said many, many times, Renney is directing the team towards 2-1 wins. If the strategy is to win every game 2-1, it quite literally makes it impossible for Gomez, Drury, Redden and Rozsie to put up the numbers that their detractors would need to see to stop slamming them.

I mean Gomer, for example, would have to play a role in more than half the team's goals in order to exceed the PPG status that many feel he needs to achieve in order to justify his salary. So, by definition, if you are in favor of Renney and the system he dictates, you cannot get on Gomez for being on pace for 60 points - to do otherwise would be an exercise in blatant hypocracy. (Unless of course you expect the other 14 skaters other than the "big four" to average like 9 points each across the board.)

For the record, I am not saying that they have been playing great in the context of the system, but I do believe that Gomez, Drury and especially Rozsie are suffering from a double standard to a degree. (Redden, on the other hand, was flat out horrible - by any standard - until about ten games ago.)
This team is like any other, relies on its strengths. If winning means sacrificing personal scoring accolades so be it. I judge these players on the W/L column, same as the GM & Coach.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote