Perimeter, the right way to go!
View Single Post
01-29-2009, 01:14 PM
Join Date: Nov 2004
Originally Posted by
How about scoring goals? We did all year last year.....how did the playoffs go exactly? And then good job taking Detroit as an example, the only team in the past freakin years to win Cups without a star goalie. A team that has the pleasure in having 2 of the best 2-way players in the game and the best d-man in the league for the past how many years now? And then, having Holmstrom, Frenzen, Draper, in your team doesn't hurt as far as grit is concerned, in addition with a tough defense to play against and a great system on top of that.
Oh and Tiger Woods and Crosby don't have emotion? Sure....it's not because they're dull in interviews that you don't see the fire in their eyes when they play.....good job taking a golf athlete and proving that they don't have emotion since clearly it's a sport when you're allowed to show it....(though ever seen how he reacts after a great shot of his???)
So now Emotion gets you killed? Ayrton Senna was sooooo emotional wasn't he??? But then let's judge an athlete as far as his emotions and his grit based on the interviews he gives on TV....please....
Who said I wouldn't take Koivu over Sundin? Koivu has obviously more grit....but his body can take what it can. You could have all the desire you want, but there's a limit to what your physical body can absorb....reason why I would want bigger guys WITH grit.....('cause evidently, when I talk about becoming bigger, I obviously don't mean Patrick Traverse bigger....)
Why does Cherry doesn't have more rings than Bowman? 'Cause there is MORE than grit and emotion. Reason why I said that our TOP guys needs to have more grit and more emotions. Was Cherry a TOP coach? Everything needs to be complimentary, you can't have one trait and not have the others. By the way, if you think that Bowman doesn't have emotion.....ask the players that played for him.....again, it's not because he's dull on TV and doesn't wear stupid outfits that he doesn't bring some emotion to his team....
Anyway, again, pretty easy to search for the exceptions and try to make it look as if it was the norm, but actually MOST of the time, people that want it more, usually have it.
1. I'm on the record as saying Mtl=Det in "grit. Det has more gamebreakers and depth @ d. Mtl has goalies. Thanks for telling me what I already knew. So where does grit change any of it? You need someone who can make a difference in a close game.
2. Woods and Crosby are robots.
3. G. Villeneuve & S. Bellof. to name two. Pironi lost use of his legs but was killed in a power boat to name a third. Want more?
4. Nice that you contradict yourself again. You can't coach talent.
5. Cherry had all kinds of talent and all the "grit." Take a look at the stats. Why did he never win the cup? They had all manner of scoring, too. Speak to the issue? Add Buffalo to that list, too. They added all kinds of toughness to deal with Philly & really could score in the 70s. Why no cup? Speak to the issue?
6. Exceptions? Exceptions? I gave you the models everybody copies. Take a look at the game this Sunday. Mike Tomlin has his guys completely under control emotionally. He's low key. Want emotional? Jim Mora, Dennis Green. Ever see Tom Landry? Chuck Noll? Mike Shanahan? The emotional ones (Vermeil) are the exceptions. In control is the rule.
7. Here endeth another lesson.
View Public Profile
Chris Nilan's albums
Find More Posts by Chris Nilan