View Single Post
Old
08-10-2004, 02:18 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ORBluesFan
A very interesting proposal. Have to agree with the comments that neither team would make this deal, as each is giving up arguably its best young player.

From a Blues perspective, for this year only, getting someone like Hunter who could pop in 25-30 possibly playing with Weight would very likely be a good move as they are lacking wing depth severely. If they were really on the brink of the Cup it might be a move to make, dealing from strength to shore up a weakness.

However, with Mac all but retired and Pronger near possible UFA, that makes Jackman almost the #1 by default in a couple of years (CP long-term contract notwithstanding). He and Backman are good complements of each other; I see them both as good #2(1A) type guys, Jackman as an Adam Foote type and Backman as a Kim Johnsson type.

The Blues right now don't have any defensemen near that level in the system, where they do have some decent future forwards (Sejna, Shkotov, Zakharov, Soderberg, etc.). So looking long-term 3-5 years, Jackman (Backman as well) would make sense to keep unless a real bargain came along.

I do like Hunter. He seems to me to be a Ryan Smyth type forward - good scoring, decent grit, won't be a superstar but will make a few All Star games. Good future ahead for him.
Great post. Thoughtful and balanced analysis!