View Single Post
Old
08-11-2004, 12:07 PM
Ajacied
Remember #9

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeaverSports
Miettinen never got a call because he couldn't hack it the first time he was up and because there were a lot of valuable veterans sitting as it was.
No, wrong. Miettinen actually got demoted to the AHL since the minimum playing time he was getting with the Stars wouldn't help his development. In the A he would be able to log tons of minutes while adjusting to the North American style. I'm positive he would've played in all 82 (baring injuries ofcourse) if there wouldn't be such an option as sending players down. This way we also never would've signed Shayne Corson.

Quote:
He's still more valuable when he's playing with guys who can contribute. Given the choice between Turgeon and some of the young kids on a scoring line, I'll take my chance with Turgeon playing the wing.
Wrong again. He isn't. We've seen it for 3 years and he was dismal playing wing regardless of his linemates. He needs to play at center..

Quote:
But in the playoffs, when it really mattered, he split that line up, placing Val Bure alongside Jason Arnott and putting either Guerin or Morrow with Modano. The only time any line got going is the game he reunited them.
Exactly.. so isn't that enough evidence to leave that line as it is?

Quote:
He was still playing with Modano at the time, I don't know where you got the idea that he wasn't.
WTF.. Jere Lehtinen played the entire 2002/2003 season on a line with Niko Kapanen and Brenden Morrow, arguably forming NHL's top 3rd line that year. He might've played some games next to Mo, but that was because of injuries or suspensions occured.

Quote:
So he's not skilled enough to be a centre on the top couple lines and he's not big enough to be a grinder. That seems to suggest he won't figure highly in the team's plans.
Not quite Mr Pessimist. Niko Kapanen played on the Stars two-way line in 2002/2003, which ironicly was our best line that year. He was a very crucial member of it and was a very effective center on both ends of the ice.

Quote:
Find me a non-Dallas scout, and hockeysfuture.com doesn't count, who actually says this about the kid.
You're the only one who thinks this lowly of him. Every one related to the Stars, either on HF or elsewhere has confidence Antti Miettinen will be a valueble player someday. And if hockey's most credible and most reliable site as far as prospects go doesn't count, then what the heck does that's supposed to be more credible in your eyes? GM's don't follow everyone of their prospects 24/7, this site and its members do.

Quote:
On that Carolina team, Svoboda played himself off the first line with the quality linemates, so don't think he hasn't had a chance. And by 23, usually you get an inclination of the direction a player's career is headed.
Not untill he has a full season under his belt he doesn't. I am usually very careful labeling young players, and Jaroslav is no exception. I will judge him based on his upcoming year, but he is neither a bust nor a proven NHL player just yet.

Quote:
A lot of that is due to the Wings and Avs trading away countless picks and prospects to load up to win. The difference is they drafted prospects other teams actually wanted in exchange for players.
Don't tell me teams wouldn't want a Trevor Daley, Steve Ott, Brenden Morrow, Marty Turco, Niko Kapanen or more recently a Loui Eriksson, Johan Fransson or Jussi Jokinen. Our prospect pool is just fine and in better shape it has ever been. Just because we don't have a stud or a potential superstar doesn't mean we suck drafting.

Quote:
As for the Hockey's Future organization rankings, I think you need a better source. I've seen HF writers in the press box, young kids who don't have jobs in hockey or the media, who have few connections nor experience evaluating talent. I knew a team editor once who made up depth charts admittedly not having seen prospects. Add the fact that a number of the writers are fervently biased fans, and it's tough to rank apples to apples. Survey hockey people and you'll find very different responses.
No thanks. Like I said, I've yet to find a more informative site for hockey prospects than this one. Untill you're the one who can come up with better sources, you're the one looking like a pessimist.