View Single Post
Old
02-04-2009, 05:06 PM
Hot Carlson

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic View Post
I never understood why people threw ice time out there as something that makes a player godly. What if those 30 minutes were full of mistakes? The ice time in itself means absolutely nothing.

He's not solid defensively, not by any strecth of the imagination. He gets beat both positionally and physically over and over again. His speed somewhat makes up for his shortcomings but he's not solid defensively.

He's young and I bet he'll be an outstanding defenceman in the future. Right now he's basicly a poor mans Coffey. That's not a bad thing, he's already top-3 offensively, but he shouldn't be considered for the Norris at this point.

Let's be honest, on another team he wouldn't have either the +/- or the points.

And I really like the guy, he plays a flashy game that really speaks to me.

But Norris material..

No.

Just

no.
How about some relevant numbers, then?

Quote:
Zdeno Chara. Chris Pronger. Scott Niedermayer. Nicklas Lidstrom. Shea Weber. Jay Bouwmeester. Duncan Keith. Brian Campbell. Dion Phaneuf. Kimmo Timonen. Andrei Markov. Dan Boyle. Aside from being a who’s who of elite NHL defensemen, what do these players have in common? Every single one of them has been on the ice for more even-strength goals per game than Mike Green.

In 38 games, playing over 25:35 per game (10th in the NHL) Mike Green has only been on the ice for 23 even strength goals against. That’s good for a 0.6 goals against per game (23 / 38 = 0.6).

By comparison, at a GA/G of 1.2 (57 goals against in 48 games), 2008 Norris finalist Dion Phaneuf is literally twice as prone to being on the ice when a 5-on-5 goal is scored against his team compared to Mike Green.
You can't play the "he plays on a line with Ovechkin" card. Chara plays with Kessel and Savard, yes? Lidstrom with Datsyuk and Zetterberg, no? I think it's simply fashionable to hate on his defensive game.

I suppose you could call me a bit of a homer, but the numbers are interesting.

Last edited by Hot Carlson: 02-04-2009 at 05:13 PM.
Hot Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote