View Single Post
Old
02-07-2009, 11:12 AM
phlocky

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Then you are stating they won the cup on an average defense and average goalie? What the hell... How come we keep rolling with an average goalie and defense and have yet to won in a really long time? I guess Carolina is considered lucky then... I guess we can try sticking with luck also instead of try to change something

Umm, ya, that's the point. There is an aweful lot of LUCK that goes into winnning the cup, rarely does the best team in the league actually WIN the cup, the Wings last year were one of the exceptions. What too many of you seem to miss is that all these guys are professionals and all pretty damn good. There's not a whole lot of difference between the best team in the league and the worst. Take this to the playoffs where injuries and players getting hot at the right time can make a HUGE difference and voila, the best team OFTEN doesn't win, case in point our first 2 rounds last year.

Here ya go, in 04 WE would have won the cup with Esche in net if it weren't for all the injuries we had on defense. We were a better team than TB AT THAT MOMENT and we'd have finished the cup run by beating the Flames. We came within one freaking goal of beating TB with having so many injuries on defense that we had to play a winger back on defense because we nothing else left.

Yes, the Canes won the cup with average defense, average goaltending and an average team all-around with a few star players who got hot at the right time and with a bit of luck won it all.

Look, I am NOT saying we wouldn't be better with a better goalie but a better goalie doesn't guarentee us a cup either. We could have had Brodeur for the past 10 years and STILL not won any cups. Brodeur wouldn't have beaten the Wings in 97. Chechmanik wasn't the problem when we scored only 1 goal in 5 games against the Sens so Brodeur wouldn't have won that series either. Garth Snow and Robert Esche both stood on their heads and looked like Hasek in the playoffs so tell me how a superstar goalie would have won us a cup with those teams.

Last edited by phlocky: 02-07-2009 at 11:20 AM.
phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote